Saturday, January 27, 2007

Week 25: Lela Carmen!

Guest Post from Lela Carmen:

Querido(a) bebito(a),

Buenos dias! Well little one, how are things? Today will be a busy day for me. I've got to clean up a bit, go to the supermarket. Then I will be going to a birthday party with your cousins Yasmin and Jalil. The party is at a bowling alley close to their house. Then they will be sleeping over. We plan on watching the movie Madagascar. We've seen it a few times, but it still makes us laugh. I like the part when they sing "I like to move it, move it, I like to move it, move it, I like to move it." The three of us start moving in our seats and laughing loud. Maybe you'll join us soon in our madness. Your grandpa went to Sam's to buy some things. I gave him a list because he tends to get carried away.

It's been quite cold these day. I'm happy that you will be born in May. The weather should be nicer by then. Your father had mentioned certain people who celebrate their birthday in May. I'd like to add to the list. Your great-grandmother Teresa (my mom) was born on May 4th, and your cousin Yasmin on May 12th. This makes May an extra-special month. Will you born on May 8th?. . . we'll see.

I've been wondering if you suck your thumb inside mommie's tummy. I'm sure that must be a very comforting feeling. You know, there's a fifth grader at my school that sucks his thumb. I usually see him do it towards the end of the day. I've been meaning to find out more about it and talk to him.

Well, I wish that you may have pleasant dreams. That you will let mommie sleep so that she will be rested to go to work. I'd like to reccommend some books to daddy that he may want to borrow at the library to read to you. These are books that have been selected by children as their favorites.

Here's just a short part of the list:
  • Robert McCloskey. Make Way for Ducklings
Mr. and Mrs. Mallard love their home in the Boston Public Garden, and once they get there, so do the Mallard's children.
  • Ruth Krauss. The Carrot Seed
Despite everyone's dire predictions, a little boy has faith in the carrot seed he plants.
  • Eric Carle. The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Follows the progress of a hungry little caterpillar as he eats his way through a varied and very large quantity of food until, full at last, he forms a cocoon around himself and goes to sleep.
  • Ezra Jack Keats. The Snowy Day
A young black boy spends an adventurous day in the city when it snows.
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon
(this one should have a parental warning - beware of reading it to children who love drawing on walls!)

Gotta go!

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove you,
Lela Carmen