Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Week 15: Visit to the ER

I should have known something was wrong when you slept 9 hours in a row on Monday night. Guess where we were last night? In the emergency room. :(

On Monday night you slept all those hours and didn't wet a diaper. I thought it was strange and told your Daddy but I thought, oh, you'll just pee later. I took you to daycare and nursed you and you vomited milk but I thought it was because you had gas. Then I picked you up at 12:30 from daycare (that's another story) and you were fussy so when we got home I nursed you and you threw up again and made a little puddle on the floor. You still weren't wetting diapers and then I fed you at 9pm and you threw up again so Daddy called your doctor and they said we should go to the ER for you to get checked for dehydration.

I didn't want to go but I knew it was the right thing to do so we got you dressed and brought you over the hospital where you were born. They took your temperature and checked your vitals and then the doctor saw you and recommended lab work. Before you knew it the nurse brought in a big IV and said that we had to give you fluids. I was nursing you so he tried to put it in while you were feeding but he couldn't get the needle in so Daddy asked him to stop. I was crying like a little baby. Actually I was sobbing. I don't like seeing you in pain little one.


The children's ER room (you remind us of that little monkey)


Mommie wanting to leave the ER

Anyway, they called a nurse at her home (it was about midnight at this point) that used to work in the NICU unit at Baystate Hospital and who was really good at putting IVs in babies. She came in and I left the room because I knew I would be a mess. They got your IV in and got blood from your foot for labwork at the same time. Then I came in and nursed you and you ended up sleeping on my chest while you got fluids and we waited for your results. Around 2am your doctor came in and said that you had a viral infection and that's what was causing the vomiting and sleepiness. He said to check with your doctor today but that the infection would probably go away on its own.


It was really cold in the room


Nursing you after the IV was put in


Sleeping with Mommie while the fluids drip


Your poor little manita

Last night you slept from 1am-6am, nursed, then slept from 6am-9:30am. We changed your diaper this morning and it was super wet which is good but you're still acting a little weird. Your eyes are puffy, you're still really sleepy, and you're spitting up all your milk so we might have to go get you checked out.


At home this morning...taking off your ID ankle bracelet


Still not back to your normal self. Your eyes are puffy

I can't believe you were in daycare for one day and already have an infection. This is the first time you're sick. :( You were such a trooper though and pretty much passed out after they put the IV in. You're Daddy was AMAZING as he is always and was so strong and held you when I was a basketcase. I took the day off of work because I want to make sure you're okay and getting enough to eat so you have Mommie and Daddy at home with you today. I love you so much sweetie and I hope you feel better soon!