Thursday, May 13, 2010

2 years: Bye bye Penguins

Tomorrow is your last day in the Penguin's classroom. :( Since you're turning 3 you're going to be moving up to the Tigger classroom. The good thing is that some of your friends will be joining you like McEwen, Addison, Boaz & Lisa. I can't believe you're turning 3 in 2 days. That's so crazy! This past Mother's Day I was thinking about how 3 years ago on Mother's Day I was in labor with you. In some ways it seems like a long time ago and in some ways it doesn't seem that long ago but lots of things have changed since that day, that's for sure.

We had a good time in New Mexico this weekend. It was an end-of-year extravaganza-Daddy's Birthday-Mother's Day trip. The drive down was nice and we put the DVD player in the car and you got to watch some of your faves: Speed Racer, Little Einsteins and Monsters vs. Aliens. It took a little bit more than 7 hours and Daddy drove the entire way down there. We found our hotel right away and checked in. It was a great suite and then we went to walk to the bus stop to go downtown and we walked past this huge indoor playground area. We decided to go there and you had so much fun and the best part was that it was only $5, amazing! After playing for a little bit we drove downtown and had yummie dinner at the plaza and then headed back to the hotel since it was getting late. It was so nice to be in Santa Fe. Mommie lived there for a year when I was 21 years old and it's still one of my favorite places. I'm happy that Daddy likes it too.

We're back home now and getting ready for Grandma Mayela and Papa Cesar & Lela Carmen's arrival for your birthday! 9 of your friends will be coming to the birthday party and you seem really excited about it though you've changed the theme of the party a million times (Wall-E, Kung-fu Panda, Cars, Speedracer, etc.). It should be a good time and I'm happy that 3 of your 4 grandparents will be able to share the time with you. You're so lucky, little O!

Things have quieted down at our house. Daddy finished his finals last Thursday, on his birthday. Most of the students have left the university for the summer so my days have gotten a lot less hectic, just a lot of assessment of the past semester and planning for the next semester but no late nights which is great! All the students know about you, little O. I talk about you all the time and have pictures of you in my office, on my computer and your art work is up in my office. I miss you a lot when I'm at work but I know you're having a lot of fun with your friends at school and your teachers are really great. Anyhoo, I'm going to be taking a few classes this semester: a graduate seminar on the culture of learning in the education department and an undergraduate class in Asian American studies. I'm really excited and happy that I can take classes for free because of my job.

Your Daddy has a long list of books he wants to read this summer and since he'll probably be taking the bus to his job in Denver every day he'll have a good chunk of time to read while he's on he bus. Your Daddy did really great this year and I'm very proud of him. His student mentor at the law school, also a father, told Daddy at the beginning of the year that you could not be a good father, good husband and good student at the same time and survive, that you would have to be okay with not being good at one of those things during your 3 years in law school. Daddy has been good in all these areas and I don't know how he does it. He doesn't even complain, if anything, he's always going on and on about how happy he is to learn everything he's learning in law school. Good job Daddy! We're proud of you and thank you for everything you do for our little family.

Love you sweetie pie,
Mommie