Sunday, June 13, 2010

3 years: Supermarket time!

Have we told you that it's impossible to find Puerto Rican food in the supermarkets in Boulder?  Lela Carmen was sending me Goya products and sofrito and Sazon until I found Rancho Liborio!  It's a Mexican supermarket about 30 minutes away from our house and thank God, they carry Goya products!  I'd be lost without them.  After our trip into Denver today we stopped by as I've been out of sofrito for 2 weeks and I haven't known what to do with myself.  Here's a little look at what Rancho Liborio is all about...



My heart pitter patters as soon as we pull into the parking lot.  Puerto Rican food will soon be mine!



Even you get excited!



Now remember, this is mainly a Mexican grocery store...so you get things like this...




Big tub of pinto beans!



Tamarind for days!



Another tub...this one full of rice!  I could take a bath in here



Lots of pinatas in the produce section, pinatas and Our Lady of Guadalupe figurines



Here we go!  Now that's what I'm talking about...platanos!  Incidentally, when we first moved to Boulder, I was so excited to see platanos in Whole Foods that I paid $1.69/lb for them, yes, yes I did.



Yeah, baby!  It's getting better and better.  That's some cheap cilantro!  So cheap that I will figure out how to put it in every dish I make.



Canilla rice!  Ahhh!!  Surrounded by inferior rice.  It's okay Canilla, I will take you away from them.



GOYA PRODUCTS!!  Enough said.  Again, notice the goya beans being surrounded by refried beans, so wrong, so wrong.



Yahtzee!!  Incidentally, I called Rancho Liborio a few months after we moved to Boulder because I didn't want to make all the trek there only to find out that they didn't have any Goya products/Puerto Rican food.  So I called and asked if they carried gandules and the women who answered said, "GanWHAT?"  And I said...gandules, pigeon peas, they're these little green beans that you put in rice and she said, "Umm, ma'am, we don't carry those" *click*  Lies, lies!  You do carry gandules, Rancho Liborio!  I'm glad I took a chance on you.



Look at that variety of Sazon! 



I don't buy any of these products but it's comforting to see.  Ahhh, breathe in, breathe out



Even Malta variety, this is too much!



Here you are in one of the Rancho Liborio carriages.  I wish I would have taken a photo of the actual carriage because they're huuuuge...they're built like there's about to be a hurricane and you have to stock up on food and supplies for 4 months or something.  I will take a photo next time we go which should be in about a month when we run out of our ingredients.