Sunday, June 13, 2010

3 years: Puerto Rican Festival

Despite 40 degree weather and cold rain, we headed into Denver today for the Puerto Rican Festival, a Taste of Puerto Rico.  It was at a really pretty park in the city with a really big children's park, but that's not what we came for, we came for Puerto Rican food!  We headed straight to the food vendors, the first one of which was selling Mexican food (what?!) and pinchos with white rice and black beans (what?! again).  Anyhoo, we found a vendor selling Puerto Rican food but the people didn't look Puerto Rican or Caribbean at all.  I should have known better but I was dying for some Puerto Rican food and so I got in line and ordered two plates.  The first plate consisted of: pernil, arroz con gandules and tostones.  The second one was: pollo guisado, rice, pink beans and amarillos.  We paid the good (non-Puerto Rican) man $14 and went on our way.  



Here you are with plate #1.  It was a bit freezing at this point, sorry my snookie.




I wish I could say it was yummie but it wasn't.  The pernil was basically just fat, the beans were a whole mess and everything just tasted off.  The amarillos were good though.  Incidentally, they gave us a little pink sauce to go with the pernil plate.  Does anyone know what this is?  I didn't try it.

After we ate, we took a spin on the Telemundo wheel and I won a Telemundo water bottle and 12 Corazones pin and Daddy got a Telemundo ID holder that you're going to use to hold your stickers in.  Fabulous!  Then we looked around at some of the other tents, listened to a few minutes of the band, Jazz from el Barrio, got some yummie coconut candy and finally a bacalaito from a vendor who looked and talked as if he was from la isla, but I'm sorry to say, it wasn't good either, it was super dense and had no bacalao flavor to it.  Ahhh!!  I decided to stop the food eating as it was breaking my heart so you played in the park for a little bit and then we headed to Daddy's job to check out his office.